Traffic changes while we build WestConnex
We are currently working to improve Sydney's motorways. Traffic changes are sometimes needed to allow construction and other work to take place. We thank you for your patience while construction is underway.
Upcoming traffic changes
Motorists are advised there will be changed traffic conditons on Wattle Street, Haberfield from 10pm Friday 9 November 2018.
Motorists should prepare for the following traffic changes (view map) as construction continues on the M4 East.
- Westbound lanes on Wattle Street will be split after Ramsay Street, creating a work zone in the middle.
- Motorists continuing straight onto Frederick Street or turning left onto Parramatta Road should exit into the far left lane after Ramsay Street.
- The two through-lanes on Wattle Street after Ramsay Street will be for the right turn to Parramatta Road only.
- Wattle Street eastbound will be split from Martin Street to Waratah Street to create a temporary work zone in the middle.
- Motorists should follow signs and drive with care.
Motorists are advised there will be changed traffic conditions on Wattle Street, Haberfield from 8pm Friday 10 August 2018.
Motorists should prepare for the following traffic changes (view map). Changes to be made on Saturday 11 August:
- Motorists travelling westbound on Wattle Street wanting to turn left onto Parramatta Road (eastbound) must stay in the left lane - all other traffic is to stay right
Changes to be made on Saturday 18 August:
- Right turn permitted from Wattle Street (eastbound) into Ramsay Street towards Haberfield
- There will be two right turn lanes from Wattle Street (westbound) into Ramsay Street towards Five Dock
- Closure of the right turn lane (G-Loop) from Wattle Street onto Waratah Street
- A temporary no right turn from Waratah Street onto Dobroyd Parade (City West Link), to be in place for this package of work.
From 5am Monday 5 November, the Sydney Park Road roundabout will be replaced with new traffic lights. Plan ahead, allow extra travel time and drive with care.
- Sydney Park Road – No right turn on to Euston Road (south)
- Huntley Street – No right turn on to Euston Road (north)
- Euston Road (south) – Southbound only
Northbound traffic on Burrows Road can use Huntley Street, Bourke Road and Maddox Street to access Euston Road.
Further works at the intersection is expected to take place early next year. Work to deliver this upgrade will be completed in early 2020.
Sections of the M4 Motorway will be closed at night while work continues on WestConnex.
If you plan to use the M4, check livetraffic.com before you travel for details of the latest traffic changes.
Safety upgrade work is taking place to realign the intersection at May Street, Campbell Street, Bedwin Road and Unwins Bridge Road in St Peters.
The following changed traffic conditions will be in effect from Friday, 13 July until early 2019: View map
- No right turn from Unwins Bridge Road into Campbell Street
- Left turn will be permitted from Princes Highway northbound into Campbell Street for vehicles under 6 metres
- May Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction near the intersection
- Bedwin Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction with a right turning lane from Bedwin Road into Unwins Bridge Road at the intersection.
Motorists are advised to allow extra travel time through the area, especially during the morning and afternoon peaks.
Chandos Street, will be closed at the intersection of Parramatta Road from Friday, 15 June 2018 for up to six months.
The following changes and detours will be in place. View map.
- Motorists can access Chandos Street via Bland Street or Dalhousie Street and Denman Avenue to access Chandos Street.
- The bus stop at Chandos Street will be permanently closed. Customers can use the Bland Street stop as an alternative. The bus stop at Dalhousie Street will be temporarily closed. Customers can use the Saint Davids Road bus stop as an alternative.
Drivers should plan ahead, allow extra travel time and follow detour signs.
The left turn lane from Parramatta Road eastbound onto the M4 Motorway at Concord, will close from 11pm Friday, 23 March 2018. Drivers travelling on Parramatta Road towards the city will not be able to turn left onto the M4 Motorway. View map.
Drivers should access the M4 Motorway westbound from Parramatta Road via the new (Powells Creek) on-ramp at North Strathfield, or from Homebush Bay Drive.
Please plan ahead, allow extra travel time and use alternate routes to access the M4 motorway westbound.
Alternative routes View Map
Drivers travelling from surrounding areas should use the following routes to access the M4 Motorway westbound:
From Concord Road southbound: turn right on Parramatta Road, right onto the new (Powells Creek) on-ramp at North Strathfield.
From Leicester Avenue northbound: turn left on Parramatta Road, right onto the new (Powells Creek) on-ramp at North Strathfield.
From Gipps Street / Patterson Street westbound:
- From Concord: left on Concord Road, right on Parramatta Road, right onto the new (Powells Creek) on-ramp at North Strathfield.
- From Canada Bay: left onto Broughton Street, right onto Parramatta Road, right onto the M4 westbound on-ramp at Concord.
From Queen Street (Five Dock) westbound: left onto Harris Road, right onto Parramatta Road, right onto the M4 westbound on-ramp at Concord.
From Church St (Ryde) southbound: cross Ryde Bridge, stay on Homebush Bay Drive then exit left onto the new M4 westbound on-ramp (G-loop).
A new westbound on-ramp to the M4 Motorway from Parramatta Road, North Strathfield is open to traffic. Motorists should be prepared for the following traffic changes:
- Access to the on-ramp will be via a new set of traffic lights on Parramatta Road, between Powell Street and George Street
- If you are turning right onto Parramatta Road from George Street, you will need to be in the right-hand turning lane to access the new on-ramp
- Westbound motorists on Parramatta Road should stay alert and be prepared to merge right into the new on-ramp turning lane.
Drivers using the M5 Motorway should be prepared for changed traffic conditions at Kingsgrove, including:
- Eastbound traffic will be moved onto a new section of road between King Georges Road and Kingsgrove Road.
- Westbound traffic will be moved onto a new section of road between Kingsgrove Road and King Georges Road.
The speed limit of 80km/h will not change. Drivers should stay alert, follow signs and drive with care.
Eastbound traffic on the M4 Motorway has been moved onto a new roadway between Homebush Bay Drive and Concord Road. Drivers should stay alert and be prepared for changed traffic conditions, including changes to eastbound on-ramp from Homebush Bay Drive.
Please drive safely and follow the signs.
- Access to Dobroyd Parade from Waratah Street, Haberfield is permanently closed.
- Access is from Loudon Avenue only.
Changed traffic conditions will be in place on Gardeners Road between Kent Road and O’Riordan Street, Mascot until early 2020.
The traffic changes will include:
- On Gardeners Road, eastbound traffic will be reduced to one lane between Kent Road and O’Riordan Street. There are no changes to westbound traffic. One left hand turning lane from Gardeners Road onto Bourke Road eastbound will remain open
- The right hand turn from Gardeners Road westbound onto Bourke Road will be removed. Motorists can turn right at O’Riordan Street to access Bourke Road.
- The pedestrian footpath on the northern side of Gardeners Road between Bourke Road and O’Riordan Street will be closed. Pedestrians are encouraged to use the Church Avenue footpath as an alternative.
Access to all nearby businesses will be maintained during the works.
Please plan ahead and allow extra travel time.
The right-hand turn from the kerbside lane on Parramatta Road westbound at the M4 Motorway intersection is not available. This leaves two dedicated right turning lanes. The kerbside lane is now a through lane only.
The merge lane on M4 Motorway westbound will also be shortened to 40 metres for traffic turning left from Parramatta Road. Motorists entering should use care.
These closures will remain in place until the opening of WestConnex M4 East in early 2019.
Allow extra travel time on Parramatta Road. If you use Parramatta Road, be prepared. We’re building twin tunnels for the M4 East between Homebush and Haberfield from different locations along Parramatta Road. Trucks supporting this work will use main roads to reduce traffic on local roads.
There are also a number of lane closures and changes in place to support construction activity including:
The closure of 450 metres of a westbound lane on Parramatta Road between Ashfield Park and Bland Street at Ashfield. This section will remain closed until the M4 East opens in 2019.
One of three eastbound lanes between Bland Street and Rogers Avenue, Haberfield is closed, as it forms a right-turn bay for trucks accessing our construction site on Parramatta Road.
A number of changes to local streets have taken place to support construction of the M4 East. Please allow extra travel time when driving on these local streets and be prepared.
|Ashfield||Chandos Street||Closed between Parramatta Road and 77 Chandos Street||To establish site and construct Wattle Street Interchange access ramps|
|Concord||Edward Street||Cu-de-sac re-located about 60 metres east||To establish construction site and construct Concord Road Interchange access ramps and on-ramp bridge|
|Concord||Ada Street||Converted to a no-through street||To provide construction site access|
|Haberfield||Allum Street||Closed at Wattle Street||To establish site and construct Parramatta Road interchange access ramps|
|Haberfield||Martin Street||Converted to a no-through street. Access only via Wattle Street||To construct laydown area for plant and equipment and location of the new water main|
|Haberfield||Northcote Street||Closed between Parramatta Road and 5 Northcote Street||To establish tunnelling site|
|Homebush||Ismay Avenue||Cul-de-sac removed||Cut-and-cover tunnel construction; tunnel spoll haulage route; tunnel and civit sites|
|Homebush||Wentworth Road South||One-way traffic for six months||To pile for the new retaining wall, and construct new permanent noise wall|
|North Strathfield||Concord Lane||Concord Lane south of Carrington Lane closed. Access to Carrington Lane maintained||To construct Concord Road interchange tunnel entry and exit|
|North Strathfield||Taylor Lane and Young Street||Closed||To construct Concord Road interchange tunnel access ramps|