We are building a growing city. WestConnex is part of an integrated transport plan to keep Sydney moving – easing congestion, creating jobs and connecting communities. The new motorway will provide crucial support for Sydney’s long-term economic and population growth.
- Widened the M4 between Parramatta and Homebush, creating an even faster way to bypass 28 sets of traffic lights on Parramatta Road
- Created smoother road surfaces and new access points to the new M4 between Parramatta and Homebush
- Extend the M4 in underground tunnels between Homebush and Haberfield
- Double road capacity along the M5 East corridor with the New M5 underground tunnels running between St Peters and Kingsgrove
- Join these underground routes together via the M4–M5 Link tunnel to form a seamless motorway without traffic lights
- Provide a western bypass of the Sydney central business district (CBD)
- Provide connections to the Western Harbour Tunnel and BeachesLink
- Provide a connection to Sydney Airport and Port Botany via Sydney Gateway.
Driving our economy and creating jobs
- Support Sydney’s long-term economic growth with improved motorway access and connections to western Sydney and key employment hubs across the city
- Provide vital links to Sydney’s major international gateways at Sydney Airport and Port Botany
- Deliver over 10,000 jobs – directly and indirectly
- Make life easier for hundreds of tradies, couriers and freight operators who rely on Sydney’s roads every day.
- Shift through traffic and heavy vehicles to the underground motorway, returning local streets to local communities
- Provide over 14 kilometres of new and upgraded cycle and pedestrian paths, linked to existing cycleways
- Enable new public transport options in key corridors including along Parramatta and Victoria Roads.
- Provide extra motorway capacity for through traffic, reducing the strain on local roads
- Remove bottlenecks and relieve congestion for hundreds of thousands of road users struggling in traffic every day
- Improve the speed, reliability and safety of travel across the city
- Reduce the $6 billion annual cost of congestion in Sydney
- Provide a bypass of up to 52 sets of traffic signals.
Making Sydney a more liveable city
- Reduce traffic on local streets, creating opportunities for urban renewal and improved public and active transport options
- Deliver more than 18 hectares of new recreational green space for local communities
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by over 610,000 tonnes per annum
- Reduce traffic on surface roads, creating opportunities for urban renewal and improved public and active transport options
- Provide for the future by including connections for the proposed Western Harbour Tunnel and proposed F6 Motorway extension.