Traffic changes while we build WestConnex
We are currently working to improve Sydney's motorways. Traffic changes are sometimes needed to allow construction and other work to take place. We thank you for your patience while construction is underway.
Sections of the M4 Motorway will be closed at night while work continues on WestConnex.
If you plan to use the M4, check livetraffic.com before you travel for details of the latest traffic changes.
The left turn lane from Parramatta Road eastbound onto the M4 Motorway at Concord, will close from 11pm Friday, 23 March 2018. Drivers travelling on Parramatta Road towards the city will not be able to turn left onto the M4 Motorway. View map.
Drivers should access the M4 Motorway westbound from Parramatta Road via the new (Powells Creek) on-ramp at North Strathfield, or from Homebush Bay Drive.
Please plan ahead, allow extra travel time and use alternate routes to access the M4 motorway westbound.
Alternative routes View Map
Drivers travelling from surrounding areas should use the following routes to access the M4 Motorway westbound:
From Concord Road southbound: turn right on Parramatta Road, right onto the new (Powells Creek) on-ramp at North Strathfield.
From Leicester Avenue northbound: turn left on Parramatta Road, right onto the new (Powells Creek) on-ramp at North Strathfield.
From Gipps Street / Patterson Street westbound:
- From Concord: left on Concord Road, right on Parramatta Road, right onto the new (Powells Creek) on-ramp at North Strathfield.
- From Canada Bay: left onto Broughton Street, right onto Parramatta Road, right onto the M4 westbound on-ramp at Concord.
From Queen Street (Five Dock) westbound: left onto Harris Road, right onto Parramatta Road, right onto the M4 westbound on-ramp at Concord.
From Church St (Ryde) southbound: cross Ryde Bridge, stay on Homebush Bay Drive then exit left onto the new M4 westbound on-ramp (G-loop).
A new westbound on-ramp to the M4 Motorway from Parramatta Road, North Strathfield is open to traffic. Motorists should be prepared for the following traffic changes:
- Access to the on-ramp will be via a new set of traffic lights on Parramatta Road, between Powell Street and George Street
- If you are turning right onto Parramatta Road from George Street, you will need to be in the right-hand turning lane to access the new on-ramp
- Westbound motorists on Parramatta Road should stay alert and be prepared to merge right into the new on-ramp turning lane.
Ormond Street, Ashfield will be closed at the intersection of Parramatta Road from 9pm Sunday, 22 April to 5am Wednesday, 1 August 2018.
Traffic will be detoured via alternative routes and the northbound 406 bus will be diverted. View map.
- Drivers travelling north on Ormond Street will be detoured via Gower Street and Hume Highway/Liverpool Road.
- Drivers travelling west on Parramatta Road can access Ormond Street via Orpington Street and Pembroke Street.
- The speed limit will be reduced to 40km/h near the road closure and approaching streets.
- Drivers should plan ahead, allow extra travel time and follow detour signs.
- The 406 bus route will be detoured during this closure (Hurlstone Park to Five Dock only).
- The bus will turn right from Ormond Street onto Gower Street, left onto Hume Highway/Liverpool Road, left onto Parramatta Road then right onto Dalhousie Street, Haberfield.
Drivers should plan ahead, allow extra travel time and follow detour signs.
Waratah Street, Haberfield will be closed at the intersection of Dobroyd Parade/Wattle Street from 10pm Friday, 13 April to 5am Saturday, 26 May 2018 (weather permitting).
Drivers will not be able to access Dobroyd Parade/Wattle Street from Waratah Street or Waratah Street from Dobroyd Parade/Wattle Street.
Traffic detours View map
- From Waratah Street to Wattle Street westbound: Empire Street and Ramsay Street
- From Wattle Street eastbound to Waratah Street: U-turn via the temporary turning lane to Wattle Street westbound, then Ramsay Street and Empire Street.
- From City West Link westbound to Waratah Street: Boomerang Street
- From Waratah Street to City West link citybound: Mortley Avenue, Timbrell Drive roundabout and City West Link
Drivers should plan ahead, allow extra travel time and follow detour signs.
Drivers using the M5 Motorway should be prepared for changed traffic conditions at Kingsgrove, including:
- Eastbound traffic will be moved onto a new section of road between King Georges Road and Kingsgrove Road.
- Westbound traffic will be moved onto a new section of road between Kingsgrove Road and King Georges Road.
The speed limit of 80km/h will not change. Drivers should stay alert, follow signs and drive with care.
Eastbound traffic on the M4 Motorway has been moved onto a new roadway between Homebush Bay Drive and Concord Road. Drivers should stay alert and be prepared for changed traffic conditions, including changes to eastbound on-ramp from Homebush Bay Drive.
Please drive safely and follow the signs.
Westbound traffic on Wattle Street has been moved onto a new roadway between Waratah Street and Parramatta Road, Haberfield.
Drivers should stay alert and be prepared for changed traffic conditions.
- Access to Dobroyd Parade from Waratah Street, Haberfield is permanently closed.
- Access is from Loudon Avenue only.
The right turn lane from Wattle Street onto Waratah Street, Haberfield has been removed. View map.
- If you are driving citybound on Wattle Street and need to access Waratah Street, stay in the left lane.
- Follow the signs and exit left from Wattle Street onto the temporary turning lane.
Changed traffic conditions will be in place on Gardeners Road between Kent Road and O’Riordan Street, Mascot until early 2020.
The traffic changes will include:
- On Gardeners Road, eastbound traffic will be reduced to one lane between Kent Road and O’Riordan Street. There are no changes to westbound traffic. One left hand turning lane from Gardeners Road onto Bourke Road eastbound will remain open
- The right hand turn from Gardeners Road westbound onto Bourke Road will be removed. Motorists can turn right at O’Riordan Street to access Bourke Road.
- The pedestrian footpath on the northern side of Gardeners Road between Bourke Road and O’Riordan Street will be closed. Pedestrians are encouraged to use the Church Avenue footpath as an alternative.
Access to all nearby businesses will be maintained during the works.
Please plan ahead and allow extra travel time.
For more information and maps see the full notification.
There will be changed traffic conditions along Euston Road between Sydney Park Road and Maddox Street from April until mid 2018 including:
- No right turn at Euston Road northbound into Maddox Street at the traffic lights; a detour via Huntley Street and Bourke Road will be in place
- One northbound lane closed on Euston Road between Sydney Park Road and Maddox Street
- No parking on Euston Road northbound between Sydney Park Road and Maddox Street.
Please allow extra travel time if you drive through this area.
The right-hand turn from the kerbside lane on Parramatta Road westbound at the M4 Motorway intersection is not available. This leaves two dedicated right turning lanes. The kerbside lane is now a through lane only.
The merge lane on M4 Motorway westbound will also be shortened to 40 metres for traffic turning left from Parramatta Road. Motorists entering should use care.
These closures will remain in place until the opening of WestConnex M4 East in early 2019.
A realigned exit from the M4 Motorway eastbound onto Sydney Street, Concord was introduced in November 2016. Take extra care and follow the signs provided.
Allow extra travel time on Parramatta Road. If you use Parramatta Road, be prepared. We’re building twin tunnels for the M4 East between Homebush and Haberfield from different locations along Parramatta Road. Trucks supporting this work will use main roads to reduce traffic on local roads.
There are also a number of lane closures and changes in place to support construction activity including:
The closure of 450 metres of a westbound lane on Parramatta Road between Ashfield Park and Bland Street at Ashfield. This section will remain closed until the M4 East opens in 2019.
One of three eastbound lanes between Bland Street and Rogers Avenue, Haberfield is closed, as it forms a right-turn bay for trucks accessing our construction site on Parramatta Road.
A number of changes to local streets have taken place to support construction of the M4 East. Please allow extra travel time when driving on these local streets and be prepared.
|Ashfield||Chandos Street||Closed between Parramatta Road and 77 Chandos Street||To establish site and construct Wattle Street Interchange access ramps|
|Concord||Edward Street||Cu-de-sac re-located about 60 metres east||To establish construction site and construct Concord Road Interchange access ramps and on-ramp bridge|
|Concord||Ada Street||Converted to a no-through street||To provide construction site access|
|Haberfield||Allum Street||Closed at Wattle Street||To establish site and construct Parramatta Road interchange access ramps|
|Haberfield||Martin Street||Converted to a no-through street. Access only via Wattle Street||To construct laydown area for plant and equipment and location of the new water main|
|Haberfield||Northcote Street||Closed between Parramatta Road and 5 Northcote Street||To establish tunnelling site|
|Homebush||Ismay Avenue||Cul-de-sac removed||Cut-and-cover tunnel construction; tunnel spoll haulage route; tunnel and civit sites|
|Homebush||Wentworth Road South||One-way traffic for six months||To pile for the new retaining wall, and construct new permanent noise wall|
|North Strathfield||Concord Lane||Concord Lane south of Carrington Lane closed. Access to Carrington Lane maintained||To construct Concord Road interchange tunnel entry and exit|
|North Strathfield||Taylor Lane and Young Street||Closed||To construct Concord Road interchange tunnel access ramps|