What is WestConnex?
- Widen the M4 between Parramatta and Homebush and extend it in underground tunnels between Homebush and Haberfield
- Double road capacity along the M5 East corridor with the New M5 underground tunnels running between St Peters and Kingsgrove
- Join these underground routes together via the M4–M5 Link tunnel to form a seamless motorway without traffic lights
- Provide a western bypass of the Sydney central business district (CBD)
- Provide connections to the Western Harbour Tunnel and BeachesLink
- Provide a connection to Sydney Airport and Port Botany via Sydney Gateway.
Thousands of people will benefit directly from these new free-flowing motorways, including tradespeople, public transport users, commuters, families, freight and commercial drivers, delivery drivers, interstate and international visitors.
WestConnex will also provide indirect benefits to many millions of people every day, through faster more reliable delivery of goods and services to our homes and businesses, more efficient travel times for freight operators and tradespeople will flow through to their customers.
By taking heavy traffic off local roads, local communities can enjoy safer local connections.
Local communities will also benefit from more than 18 hectares of new open space, over 14 kilometres of new cycle and pedestrian paths and new dedicated public transport lanes on Parramatta and Victoria roads.
More than just new and improved travel options, WestConnex will also create more than 10,000 jobs, including hundreds of apprenticeships, also providing training and skills development for thousands of employees across Greater Sydney.
Throughout the construction period, thousands of local businesses will benefit from ongoing supply and employment opportunities. Once completed, WestConnex will also connect local employment hubs with local communities across Greater Sydney.