WestConnex is part of an integrated transport solution to address the needs of a growing city
More than 10,000
Every $1 spent is equal to $1.88 in benefits
More reliable trips for people, businesses and freight
Keep up to date with all our news and announcementsSign up here
Latest news See all
Parramatta Road and M4 Motorway changes during WestConnex works
Motorists urged to plan their trips
Motorists on Parramatta Road are being warned to expect delays as work continues on the WestConnex project.
M4 closures for four nights
Night closures will take place on the M4 Motorway starting tonight as part of the WestConnex M4 East and M4 Widening projects.
Motorists thanked for their patience as WestConnex work ramps up
Motorists have been warned to expect delays and allow more travel time as work ramps up on building WestConnex, with a rolling program of traffic changes set to be introduced...
Ramsay Street Haberfield lane closures
Motorists are being advised to expect delays on Ramsay Street, Haberfield while water utility works are completed to support construction of the M4 East tunnels.
WestConnex breaks new ground in roadheader operations
With road tunnelling work set to be taking place simultaneously at several locations across Sydney, operators of tunnelling machines known as roadheaders will be in hot demand.
A Bolt from Bluey boosting jobs in the West
A humble rock-bolt, engineered using Australian innovation has provided ongoing job security for 160 workers at Campbelltown and 25 employees at Gladesville in Sydney’s West.
"The Hulk" finishes work on M4
The giant green crane known as “The Hulk” working on WestConnex’s M4 widening project has completed its final lift.
What's happening now
Learn more about the M4 East: information centre open
The M4 East Community Information Centre is now open and located on the ground floor at 52 Railway Parade, Burwood.Come along to speak to a member of our project team about...
Protecting local heritage on the M4 East
We are committed to reducing the impacts of WestConnex on local communities and their neighbourhoods. As part of this commitment we have salvaged heritage items and...
Thanks for your feedback: M4 East Urban Design and Landscaping Plan
The draft Urban Design and Landscape Plan (UDLP) outlines the proposed visual identity for the WestConnex M4 East. It includes information on the urban...
M4-M5 Link - get involved
The M4-M5 Link will connect the extended M4 Motorway at Haberfield with the New M5 in St Peters, easing congestion on Victoria Road and City West Link and improving local...
Our commitment to engageWestConnex supports and encourages community involvement. In working with stakeholders and the community, we always endeavour to:make the most of...
Air quality in Sydney has improved over time through more fuel-efficient vehicles and improved infrastructure design. WestConnex underground motorway tunnels are wider,...
What is WestConnex?
WestConnex is part of an integrated transport plan to keep Sydney moving – easing congestion, creating jobs and connecting communities. The new motorway will...
To learn about work in an area or for a project, you can access a range of documents including work notifications, management plans, compliance tracking reports, maps and permits.
Extending the M4 Motorway in tunnels between Homebush and...
Widening the existing M4 Motorway from Parramatta to Homebush...
Duplicating the M5 East from King Georges Road Interchange...
FAQs See all
For each WestConnex project, a series of documents including details of the measures to appropriately manage and reduce the impact of the project on local communities. These include:
- The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) – the EIS explores the potential environmental impact and outlines measures to manage and reduce this impact based on best practice and expert advice.
- The Submissions Report – this responds to all feedback received on the EIS during exhibition. It provides additional mitigation measures needed in response to new information, additional assessment or community feedback.
- The Conditions of Approval – in approving each project, the NSW Minister for Planning issues a range of conditions that must be adhered to during and after construction, to ensure impact of the project is mitigated.
- The Construction Environmental Management Plan and sub plans – before we start major work, these are prepared to provide a detailed approach to the management of environmental issues. The Department of Planning and Environment must approve these before major construction work can start. They build on the mitigation and management measures established in the EIS, the Submissions Report and Conditions of Approval.
We always notify local communities before we start a new section of work and before we do any out-of-hours work.
Traffic modelling tells us the expected demand for WestConnex and the number of traffic lanes needed. The motorway has been designed to meet traffic demand now and in the future.
The number of lanes varies across the project:
- M4: we are widening the M4 Motorway from three lanes in each direction to four lanes in each direction between Parramatta and Homebush. The new M4 East tunnels between Homebush and Haberfield will be three lanes in each direction.
- New M5: when the tunnels open, there will generally be two lanes in each direction between Kingsgrove and St Peters. The tunnels can accommodate three lanes in each direction in future, with additional approvals needed for this change.
- M4–M5 Link: the number of lanes for this project is still being determined as part of our early design work.
We speak your language
What is WestConnex? (in your language)